Chapter 13: Navigating the DC Internship Ecosystem
Published: Nov 5, 2021
Contributor: Michelle Chin
License: CC BY NC ND 4.0 license – Allows redistribution but no additions or revisions to content. Forbids commercial use.
Students face an exciting array of internship options in Washington, DC that include public and private sector organizations engaged in domestic and international policymaking and politics. Navigating this ecosystem can be challenging for students and their advisors. This chapter provides faculty advisors with useful, practical information about the internship search, preparing for the DC experience, finding housing, and living in DC. Additional information about starting and managing a campus-, college- or departmental program-affiliated internship program is also provided. Helpful tips for finding a DC internship, descriptions of internship types, a comparison of four existing standalone internship programs, a budget worksheet, and housing, eating, and transportation considerations, are included as Supplemental Internship Resources for easy reference.
- 13.1 DC Internship Programs Serving Minority Students Link opens in a new tab.
- 13.2 Comparison of Four Academically-Affiliated Organizations Link opens in a new tab.
- 13.3 The DC Internship Search: Many Types of Placements Link opens in a new tab.
- 13.4 Dressing for Success: Professional Wardrobe Link opens in a new tab.
- 13.5 Living in Washington DC: Housing, Food & Transportation (2021) Link opens in a new tab.
- 13.6 SUPP Sample Budget Worksheet Link opens in a new tab.
- Political Science Internships - Chapter 13: Navigating the DC Internship Ecosystem Link opens in a new tab.