Terms of Submission
By completing this submissions process, you are agreeing to Educate’s Terms of Submission, which are as follows:
- All content and supplementary materials that you submitted is referred to, collectively (if applicable), as the "Content"throughout the submission process and in the Terms of Submission.
- You confirm and assert that:
- You are either (i) the sole author / creator of the Content or(ii) an authorized co-author / co-creator of the Content;
- You have all rights and permissions necessary to license the Content to APSA per Clause 3 below; and
- All information you have provided during the submission process is complete, true and accurate.
- You grant the American Political Science Association ("APSA") the non-exclusive license to host the Content on the Educate Site (the "Site") and to distribute it from the Site under the licensing model indicated above. You further understand and accept that APSA may sublicense these rights to its partners and contractors in order to facilitate the hosting and distribution of the Content.
- You confirm and assert that:
- The Content contains nothing that infringes any existing copyright or license or any other intellectual property right of any third-party.
- Appropriate acknowledgements of the original sources of any and all third-party materials in the Content have been included, and, in the case of third-party audio/video material, you have obtained all rights and/or permissions necessary to allow use of the material consistent with the license terms described above.
- The Content contains nothing that breaches a duty of confidentiality or discloses any private or personal information of any person without that person’s written consent.
- To the best of your knowledge, all statements contained in the Content purporting to be facts are true and any formula, instruction or equivalent contained therein will not, if followed accurately, cause any injury or damage to the user.
- The Content does not contain any libelous or otherwise unlawful material.
- You have declared and submitted all applicable conflict of interest statements within your content, as per our guidelines.
- You understand and accept that:
- Following successful completion of this submission process, APSA may make the Content freely available on the Site using the licensing choice you made at Step 5 in the submission form.
- Publication of the Content on the Site does not mean the Content is accepted for formal peer-review and/or publication of the Content by APSA, or any publisher in any journal.
- APSA reserves the right, for any reason, to reject the submitted Content and refrain from publishing it on the Site and / or to remove the Content from the Site, at any point.
- You may, at any point, request to remove the Content from the Site and APSA will assist your request accordingly.
- All users of the Site will have the ability to add comments and annotations to the Content (although they will not have the ability to edit the Content itself and/or create new versions.)
Please read the Terms carefully before using or registering to use our Site.
By accessing or using our Site, or any mobile version of it, you confirm that you have read, understood and accept the Terms and that you agree to comply with them. If you do not agree to the Terms, please do not use or access (or continue to use or access) the Site. You are responsible for bringing these Terms to the attention of anyone who may read material on this Site as a result of your access to it. If you are below sixteen (16) years of age, please obtain the permission of your parent or guardian before using our Site.
Changes to these Terms
We may revise the Terms at any time by amending the relevant page.
Please check this page and the additional terms linked to in it from time to time as any such changes will be binding on you. Your continued use of our Site shall be deemed to constitute your acknowledgement of any such changes.
LINKS TO THIRD PARTY SITES
The APSA Educate Web Site may contain links to other Web Sites ("Linked Sites"). The Linked Sites are not under the control of American Political Science Association and American Political Science Association is not responsible for the contents of any Linked Site, including without limitation any link contained in a Linked Site, or any changes or updates to a Linked Site. American Political Science Association is not responsible for webcasting or any other form of transmission received from any Linked Site. American Political Science Association is providing these links to you only as a convenience, and the inclusion of any link does not imply endorsement by American Political Science Association of the site or any association with its operators.
Accessing Our Services and our Content
The Site is available to browse free of charge. The content is only available to those who have registered with the Site and agree to the appropriate content license terms.
NO UNLAWFUL OR PROHIBITED USE
As a condition of your use of the American Political Science Association Web Site, you warrant to American Political Science Association that you will not use the APSA Educate Web Site for any purpose that is unlawful or prohibited by these terms, conditions, and notices. You may not use the American Political Science Association Web Site in any manner which could damage, disable, overburden, or impair the American Political Science Association Web Site or interfere with any other party's use and enjoyment of the American Political Science Association Web Site. You may not obtain or attempt to obtain any materials or information through any means not intentionally made available or provided for through the American Political Science Association Web Sites.
Except in the course of exercising rights specifically granted in these Terms or permitted under the applicable resource’s content license, you may not:
- remove or alter our copyright notice or other means of identification or disclaimers as they appear on any content;
- make printed or electronic copies of any content for any purpose other than those permitted herein in or in the content license;
- display or distribute any part of the content on any electronic network (including without limitation the internet and the world wide web);
- use all or any part of any content for the purposes of direct or indirect financial gain by means of sale, resale, loan, transfer, hire or other form of exploitation of the content. For the avoidance of doubt, commercial use shall not include use by you of the content in the course of research funded by a commercial organization;
- modify, adapt or alter any content or make available any content in any other form or medium or create derivative works from any content without the author or creator’s prior written permission;
- create a database in electronic or structured manual form by downloading and storing any content;
- attempt to interfere with the proper workings of any online provision of the content including attempting to circumvent security, tamper with, hack into or otherwise disrupt or compromise the functionality or availability of our server or other internet-connected device used as part of our IT system which enables access to the content;
- either individually or collectively download content at rate which exceeds 500 files per hour. We reserve the right to withdraw access to the content in the event of a download rate in excess of this rate; nor
- otherwise download, store, reproduce, transmit, display, print, copy, distribute, extract, exploit or use the content.
Note that each individual resource page includes information about its license and permitted uses.
USE OF COMMUNICATION SERVICES
The American Political Science Association Web Site may contain bulletin board services, chat areas, news groups, forums, communities, personal web pages, calendars, and/or other message or communication facilities designed to enable you to communicate with the public at large or with a group (collectively, "Communication Services"). You agree to use the Communication Services only to post, send and receive messages and material that are proper and related to the particular Communication Service. By way of example, and not as a limitation, you agree that when using a Communication Service, you will not:
- Defame, abuse, harass, stalk, threaten or otherwise violate the legal rights (such as rights of privacy and publicity) of others.
- Publish, post, upload, distribute or disseminate any inappropriate, profane, defamatory, infringing, obscene, indecent or unlawful topic, name, material or information.
- Upload files that contain software or other material protected by intellectual property laws (or by rights of privacy of publicity) unless you own or control the rights thereto or have received all necessary consents.
- Upload files that contain viruses, corrupted files, or any other similar software or programs that may damage the operation of another's computer.
- Advertise or offer to sell or buy any goods or services for any business purpose, unless such Communication Service specifically allows such messages.
- Conduct or forward surveys, contests, pyramid schemes or chain letters.
- Download any file posted by another user of a Communication Service that you know, or reasonably should know, cannot be legally distributed in such manner.
- Falsify or delete any author attributions, legal or other proper notices or proprietary designations or labels of the origin or source of software or other material contained in a file that is uploaded.
- Restrict or inhibit any other user from using and enjoying the Communication Services.
- Violate any code of conduct or other guidelines which may be applicable for any particular Communication Service.
- Harvest or otherwise collect information about others, including e-mail addresses, without their consent.
- Violate any applicable laws or regulations.
American Political Science Association reserves the right to review materials posted to a Communication Service and to remove any materials in its sole discretion. American Political Science Association reserves the right to terminate your access to any or all of the Communication Services at any time without notice for any reason whatsoever.
American Political Science Association reserves the right at all times to disclose any information as necessary to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, legal process or governmental request, or to edit, refuse to post or to remove any information or materials, in whole or in part, in American Political Science Association's sole discretion.
Always use caution when giving out any personally identifying information about yourself or your children in any Communication Service. American Political Science Association does not control or endorse the content, messages or information found in any Communication Service and, therefore, American Political Science Association specifically disclaims any liability with regard to the Communication Services and any actions resulting from your participation in any Communication Service. Managers and hosts are not authorized American Political Science Association spokespersons, and their views do not necessarily reflect those of American Political Science Association.
Materials uploaded to a Communication Service may be subject to posted limitations on usage, reproduction and/or dissemination. You are responsible for adhering to such limitations if you download the materials.
American Political Science Association reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to terminate your access to the APSA Educate Web Site and the related services or any portion thereof at any time, without notice.
GENERAL To the maximum extent permitted by law, this agreement is governed by the laws of the State of Washington, U.S.A. and you hereby consent to the exclusive jurisdiction and venue of courts in San Mateo County, California, U.S.A. in all disputes arising out of or relating to the use of the APSA Educate Web Site. Use of the American Political Science Association Web Site is unauthorized in any jurisdiction that does not give effect to all provisions of these terms and conditions, including without limitation this paragraph. You agree that no joint venture, partnership, employment, or agency relationship exists between you and American Political Science Association as a result of this agreement or use of the American Political Science Association Web Site. American Political Science Association's performance of this agreement is subject to existing laws and legal process, and nothing contained in this agreement is in derogation of American Political Science Association's right to comply with governmental, court and law enforcement requests or requirements relating to your use of the American Political Science Association Web Site or information provided to or gathered by American Political Science Association with respect to such use.
If any part of this agreement is determined to be invalid or unenforceable pursuant to applicable law including, but not limited to, the warranty disclaimers and liability limitations set forth above, then the invalid or unenforceable provision will be deemed superseded by a valid, enforceable provision that most closely matches the intent of the original provision and the remainder of the agreement shall continue in effect. Unless otherwise specified herein, this agreement constitutes the entire agreement between the user and American Political Science Association with respect to the Educate website and it supersedes all prior or contemporaneous communications and proposals, whether electronic, oral or written, between the user and American Political Science Association with respect to the Educate website. A printed version of this agreement and of any notice given in electronic form shall be admissible in judicial or administrative proceedings based upon or relating to this agreement to the same extent and subject to the same conditions as other business documents and records originally generated and maintained in printed form. It is the express wish to the parties that this agreement and all related documents be drawn up in English.
If you supply personal details to us through this Site then you consent to us maintaining, recording and using such personal data in accordance with our privacy notice.
Subject to the restrictions below, you may:
- access, view, download, store, print and reuse the content on this Site, subject to the terms of the individual content item as selected by the author and creator; and/or
- incorporate links to the content in electronic course packs or management systems.
Nothing in the Terms shall in any way exclude, modify or affect any of your statutory rights under applicable copyright law.
Text and Data Mining
As part of a bona fide research project, you may download, extract, store and index substantially all of the content on the Site for the purposes of text and data mining ("TDM") and may mount, load, integrate and analyze the results of TDM, subject to the terms of the individual content items as selected by the authors and creators of content used for TDM. Any copies of the content stored locally by you for the purposes of TDM shall be deleted once such research project ends.
You may use the results of your TDM in your research and make the results of your TDM available on externally facing websites provided no content, or part of any content, is made available other than as expressly permitted by the applicable content license.
You shall not use the results of TDM in any activity, with any third parties or in any way that would compete with any of our products or services. To request a commercial license to conduct TDM please contact the Rights and Permissions Department at American Political Science Association, 1527 New Hampshire Ave NW, Washington, DC 20036-1206, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
In the event of any comments or questions concerning the Terms, please e-mail us at email@example.com or write to American Political Science Association, 1527 New Hampshire Ave NW, Washington, DC 20036-1206.
Thank you for visiting our Site.
Last Updated: March 2020