Chapter 8: Assessment in Internships: A 360-Degree Review for Students, Supervisors, and Professors
Published: Nov 5, 2021
Contributor: Jeffrey Sosland
License: CC BY NC ND 4.0 license – Allows redistribution but no additions or revisions to content. Forbids commercial use.
In this chapter we focus on the value of assessment for internships and experiential education. While most educators incorporate assessment of the internship and focus solely on the student, we take a broader and more holistic approach here, adapting an approach known as the “360-degree review” for interns, their supervisors, and professors. We share recommendations for effective assessment of internships and related internship courses.
Political Science Internships: Towards Best Practices builds on a robust body of evidence that demonstrates the integrative power of internships to help undergraduate students learn by doing. Targeting faculty, instructors, and administrators who deliver political science curricula, this book examines the state of internships in the discipline, scrutinizing different types of internship programs, their vital components, and the roles of key stakeholders: faculty mentors and instructors, site supervisors, and students. Employing a variety of methodological approaches and incorporating original research, contributors from across the field offer analytical insights and recommendations for facilitating experiential learning. Practical resources, organized into a supplemental section, exhibit how to structure, maintain, and sustain internship programs and help stakeholders achieve intended learning outcomes. As this text makes clear, moving towards best practices in political science internships requires curricula to be reoriented around more accessible, inclusive practices that place student learning at their center.
- 8.1 Sample #3, Intern Evaluation Instrument for Site Supervisors Link opens in a new tab.
- 8.2 Student Self-Evaluation NACE Competencies Link opens in a new tab.
- 8.3 Are You Career Ready Self Assessment Link opens in a new tab.
- Political Science Internships - Chapter 8: Assessment in Internships: A 360-Degree Review for Students, Supervisors, and Professors Link opens in a new tab.
- Political Science Internships: Towards Best Practices - View all Chapters & Resources Here Link opens in a new tab.